Who We Are.
STR, Inc. (U.S.), STR Global, Ltd. (U.K.) and its affiliates (collectively, the “STR Group”) are privacy conscious global organizations. This means we are committed to protecting the privacy of all individuals who interact with us, whether by registering as a user on our websites in order to receive our data and reports, participating in one of our research projects, or by attending one of our many events held around the world. This approach to privacy applies to all personal information received by us from our customers, whether in electronic, paper or verbal form. It also applies to our websites and how we use the websites to collect information, how we use that information, and the choices that are available to you regarding our use of your personal information.
General information about the Privacy Shield and the Privacy Shield Principles, as well as information about binding Privacy Shield arbitration, can be found at www.privacyshield.gov.
What Information Do We Collect From You and When?
We collect personal information about you when you register to use our websites, or when someone in your organization asks that you be added as a user; when you enroll on behalf of your company in our benchmarking program; when you request more information on products or services; when you request one of STR’s executives speak to your group, company or association; when you register for, or agree to sponsor or present at our Hotel Data Conference; or when you order reports and other products from us. We will also ask for your personal information if you participate in one of our surveys or other research methods which we conduct on behalf of third party companies or our own behalf.
The personal information we collect usually consists of your name, an email address, phone number and mailing address at which you wish to receive communications from us, your credit card and/or banking information if you are using a personal card or account. If you are participating as a speaker in our Hotel Data Conference or other seminars and events, in addition to the foregoing, a photograph, your curricula vitae/biography and audio/visual recordings of you may be used.
The Tracking Technologies includes Google Analytics for tracking on our STR and STR Global websites, as well as Clicky and StatCounter for our HotelNewsNow website. Visitors to our Tourism Consumer Insights division’s website (www.ljresearch.co.uk) will encounter a “pop-up” application provided by Tawk.to which gives those visitors the option to engage with us in real time.
Do Not Track Policy
Why Do We Need The Information That We Collect from You?
Your personal information is used by the STR Group for various legitimate business purposes, all of which are undertaken in order to provide you with the reliable, timely and excellent data delivery, analytics and other services you expect from the STR Group. These purposes are:
- To register you as a user on our websites and other client portals. This applies whether you signed up directly with us as a user, or were identified as a user by someone within your organization.
- For invoicing purposes and for credit card payment processing, using a third party vendor.
- To contact you (whether by phone or email), if necessary, about your order.
- If you are an employee or representative of one of our hotel clients, to contact you to inquire about your data or your competitive set selection, and to discuss your contract renewal.
- To notify you about other STR Group products and services, or any STR Group events, in which you may be interested.
- To notify you about any updates or maintenance to our websites.
- To notify you about any corrections or delays in our data reporting.
- For direct marketing and advertising purposes. However, we do not sell our client lists to any other third parties for use in their marketing campaigns. Also, at any time you may opt out of receiving such marketing materials and solicitations from us.
- In relation to our Hotel Data Conference (HDC) or other seminars, conferences and events, for the specific purpose of registering you as an attendee and sending you updates prior to and during the event. In addition, we will provide HDC sponsors with the list of attendees free of charge and as a benefit to them. If you are an HDC attendee but wish to limit how your contact information is used you may opt out.
- STR Group webmasters use cookie information to analyze the number of visitors to different areas of the websites, to determine how long users are remaining on the sites. This information helps us make sure that our websites are serving as a useful, effective information source for you.
- To contact you to inquire whether you wish to participate in a survey or other research method on behalf of third party companies or on our own behalf.
- If you are a main point of contact for a hotel company, for inclusion in the STR Directory (formerly the AH&LA Directory).
- To analyze and report on the results of surveys or other research methods, which in turn enables our customers to understand who is visiting their attractions and why, and what they can do to improve their offerings.
- To comply with our legal and contractual obligations, to resolve disputes, and to enforce agreements
You may object to our use of your information for any of these purposes and you may ask that we cease such use at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our U.S. headquarters at 1-615-824-8664 ext 3340. Please note that if we fulfill your request we may no longer be able to communicate with you or to provide you with the data services you or your company has been receiving from us.
With Whom Do We Share Your Personal Information? How Long Do We Keep it?
Your personal information may be shared between and among STR, Inc. in the United States and STR Global, Ltd in the UK, with offices in Germany, Beijing, Dubai, Australia, Brazil, Singapore, and Spain, for purposes of enabling the STR Group to provide you with the optimal data and analytic services that you and our clients expect.
We also contract with third party data processors to help us store, catalog and/or process your personal and payment/credit card information for our sales, service and marketing activities. Among these third parties are SalesForce (cloud based Customer Relations Management), Cvent (Hotel Data Conference registration), MailChimp (marketing and promotional emails), Azure (online data storage) and Proofpoint (email firewall). We require all third party data processors to keep confidential all information that we disclose to them, including personal information, and to only use such information for the purpose for which it was disclosed. Please let us know if you would like more information about how we work with these companies. We recognize that STR Group is liable under the EU-US Privacy Shield Principles for the actions of those agents and processors we use to process your information in a manner consistent with Privacy Shield Principles
As stated above, if you are an attendee at our Hotel Data Conference, we may share your contact information with certain corporate sponsors of the Conference.
We may provide information to regulatory authorities and law enforcement officials in accordance with applicable law or when we otherwise believe in good faith that the law requires it. There may be instances when we may access or disclose your information in order to protect or defend the legal rights or property of the STR Group or their employees and agents, to protect the safety and security of users, and to protect against fraud.
The STR Group may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets in connection with a merger, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy, without your permission. In such an event, personal information may be one of the assets transferred.
We will not share your information with any other party, for any reason, unless otherwise disclosed at the point of collection. If that occurs, you will have the opportunity to refuse to give us consent or to withdraw your consent if previously given.
We retain your personal information for as long as needed to provide you or your company with our services. We also retain and use this information as necessary to comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce agreements. If you are a participant in a survey or other research method, we retain your personal information for a reasonable time after the project is completed so that, if needed, we can verify the basis for the survey results.
You May Access Your Information, Correct It And Delete It.
We are dedicated to providing reasonable access to individuals who wish to review the personal information we have retained so that they may correct any inaccuracies it may contain or opt to delete the information.
If you wish to see the information about you that we have in our possession, if you wish to correct this information or if you wish to have it deleted in its entirety from our systems, please email us at email@example.com or call our U.S. headquarters at 1-615-824-8664 extension 3340.
While we will respond to your request as quickly as possible, please allow us no more than 30 days for any personal information about you to be accessed, extracted, modified or deleted from our servers, and those of our third party vendors.
We will certainly respect and fulfill your request to have your information removed from our system. However, please note that in certain cases (such as where you are on a distribution list or identified as the contact person for a hotel that is participating with us) such removal may result in you no longer having access to STR Group reports and data, being able to take part in ongoing research in which you have previously indicated you wish to be a participant, or hearing about new or updated STR Group products, services and events. Also, if you are the main contact for your company, or are the person identified to receive invoices on behalf of your company, we will first need for you to identify the person who will be your replacement. We will assume that you have the authority to provide us with that person’s contact information.
Also, please bear in mind that, even if we delete your information, it may still persist on back-up tapes and archival documents or electronic media on which other business critical information is stored and which STR must retain for legal, tax, or regulatory reasons, or for legitimate and lawful business purposes. Access to such archival information is limited to only authorized personnel who are under an obligation to maintain its confidentiality.
Other Choices About Your Information
In addition to the options described above, the following mechanisms are available that allow you to control information that is collected about you and your use of our websites:
- Google Analytics Opt-out Option. If you do not want your information collected with Google Analytics, you can install the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on. To opt-out of Google Analytics, visit the Google Analytics opt-out page (located at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout) and install the add-on for your browser. For more details, visit the “Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on” page (located at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/181881?hl=en). At this time, similar opt-out features are not available through Clicky, Tawk.to, or StatCounter.
How Do We Protect Your Information?
No method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of information that is transmitted to us electronically. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures we provide. If you have questions about the security of your personal information, our websites or other systems on which your personal information may be transmitted, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at our US Headquarters 1-615-824-8664 ext 3340.
Third Party Websites
Our websites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. The STR Group does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use our websites or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, postal address, telephone number, email address or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 1-615-824-8664 ext 3340.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our websites that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-615-824-8664 ext 3340. Please note, however, that the STR Group does not disclose personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless we have previously obtained your consent.
By email: email@example.com
By phone: 1-615-824-8664 ext 3340
Attention Legal Department
735 East Main Street
Hendersonville, TN, USA 37075.